Wednesday, May 23, 2012

An Intern's Introduction

Austin meets a cowHello, everyone! My name is Austin and, as Jason and Margaret told you last week, I will be the intern at Omache Farm during the 2012 growing season. I'm excited to be a part of the Omache crew, and hope that my hard work will be noticeable in the CSA boxes and on the market table. I look forward to meeting you and your family at the market!

During this first week of being an intern, I have already learned a few very important lessons on running a farm. For example, duct tape is the most important tool on the farm, even if it has a leopard print pattern. Also, always make bunches of vegetables bigger than they need to be, because happy customers is the surest way to a stable revenue stream. In addition, the market itself is like a temporary town; if you treat your neighbors with respect, you'll have willing help when you need it. Finally, the most important lesson I have learned is that sweat and elbow grease are renewable resources; why burn gasoline when you can burn calories?

As I continue my practical education on the farm, I'll be sure to share the best tidbits here in the newsletter. I hope I can enlighten all of you as to how Omache farm is helping to make the foodshed of the Palouse more sustainable, equitable, and fun! Thank you for coming along for the ride.

Your friend in the field,

Austin