Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Ginger's Memoirs - Ringing Hogs


Every year, Mom, Dad and I would ring hogs before they went outside to the fields.  The hogs were run through the chute, rings put in their nose and castrated.  Needless to say, there was a lot of squealing in the barn on those days!  Mom’s job was to open the gate from the chute so the hog could run out the shed and into the fields outside.
            There was on instance where Dad and I both turned around when we heard Mom screaming.  A hog had run between Mom’s short legs and she was riding the animal!  The hog took her with on its mad dash down the chute and outside.  Louder even than the hogs, she screamed the whole way out!
            Dad and I nearly fell over we were laughing so hard.  Once she made her way back in to the gate at the head of the chute, she laughed just as much as we were.

            That is one sight I’ll never forget.  I’ll bet she didn’t either!